Re: reinforced concrete design question

Cliff,

A good reference on the elastic behavior of reinforced concrete beam is
?Design of Concrete Structures?Thirteenth Edition (2004)? by Arthur H.
Nilson, David Darwin and Charles W. Dolan.

>From page 68 of that book is the following statement:
?At moderate loads, if the concrete stresses do not exceed approximately
0.5x f?c, stresses and strains continue to be closely proportional.  When
the load is still further increased, stresses and strains rise
correspondingly and are no longer proportional.  Therefore, just as in
homogeneous beams, the distribution of concrete stresses on the
compression side of the beam is of the same shape as the stress-strain
curve.?

Best regards,
Robert Immel, P.E.