RE: reinforced concrete design question

The Whitney stress block doesn't necessarily describe the concrete stresses
accurately at any level.  It's simply an approximate method used to make
design easier.

At truly low stresses, it is a linear relationship like any other mostly
homogenous material (triangular above and below the neutral axis).

At higher stresses with cracked/reinforced concrete, the compression
stress-strain diagram looks more like a parabola or half a sine curve.  It's
very low (assumed zero) at the top compression surface, increases rapidly to
a max value a short distance below the top surface, then decreases more
gradually to the neutral axis.

Ultimate strength formulas modeling this diagram would be extremely complex,
so Whitney came up with a short cut.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exact numbers from my advanced concrete
class many many years ago.  I'm sure someone out here has more working
stress knowledge and will be willing to help you out.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri