Concrete Mix Design Variations

I have a concrete supplier that is less than accurate
when batching ready mix products.  The concrete
suppliers water-cement ratios vary considerably and he
loves to add water (beyond the ASTM tolerances) to
achieve his desired slump.  When non-conformances are
issued for the mix and the contractor goes ahead and
places the concrete at his own risk, the usual
performance measurement of 28 day strength is the
governing factor.

Any thoughts on what other critical characteristics
are effected by higher water cement ratios.  I keep
discussing shrinkage cracks and perhaps other
durability issues but am trying to collect other
opinions.

The subject building is a cast in place concrete
structure in the Phoenix, Arizona area (hot weather,
mixes approaching the 90 deg. temperature limit when
delivered).

Appreciate your thoughts.

Paul Blomberg
Phoenix, AZ