IBC2000 1809.3.1 Auger Cast Piles

I have auger cast piles with seismic shear at the top and they also support the typical vertical loading from dead+live.

Should the allowable stress limits of IBC200-1809.3.1 apply to the combined effect of vertical stress + moment stress induced due to lateral loads also? It is going to be pretty tough for me to meet this provision if this is the intent.

I have a textbook that checks only the axial load stress and not the stress due to lateral moment. However, the IBC provision does not seem to exclude lateral moment in the stress limit check.

thanks,

Will