Re: Steel Detailing Book

Its been a long time since I looked at the Volume II connections book - I used it quite a bit for 6 months or so when it first came out in 1992.  I recall that the book had some good technical stuff that was helpful if you had similar design situations.  I also recall quite a few typos.  There may be an errata for that by now.

The book is loaded with design examples - if you are interested in heavy steel bracing, that's probably 25% of the manual.  The "new" uniform force method for bracing is why I bought it in the first place.  That should provide a nice savings for a fabricator, if that is your goal.

There are some good tables for block shear and single shear connection capacities.  If you are doing a lot of heavy connection design, it isn't a bad book.  Sooner or later, you are bound to find an example problem for exaclty what you are trying to do and it might pay for itself right there.

Note that the book is for ASD and LRFD.

Jim Wilson

engineer101(--nospam--at)att.net wrote:

I am thinking about buying another steel detailing book. I am an ASD person.

Can anyone recommend a good manual? I am thinking about getting:

Detailing for Steel Construction, 2nd Edition (AISC)

or the ASD Manual, Volume II.

Anyone's thoughts on these books or others?

Do you Yahoo!?