RE: wind damage evaluation

Speaking of natural disasters in other countries, is anyone aware of any
United Nations programs that specifically deal with the *possibility* of
developing some sort of building standard/details for construction using
native materials and methods to help protect against such high loss of
life in a natural disaster?

I know this is a huge, loaded question that can (probably does) go many
directions with political spins, but I'm ignorant as to whether there is
any genuine effort being expended to offer practical, structural
solutions to help.  I've checked the UN's website, but didn't find
anything specific to structural work.

If anyone has any resources or contact information, I would be
interested in doing some research.

Regards,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
Tulare, CA
E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com