From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 20:31
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Basic Wind Speed in Indonesia

Gunnar,

There is a latitude that defines an area generally referred to as the
doldrums.  It is roughly within 5 to 10 degrees north and south of the
equator.  In the area of concern for you, the 5 degree latitude bisects the
island of Papua New Guinea.  Below the line you have a frequency of 3-5
typhoons per year.  Above 5 degrees are the doldrums.  Java and Sumatra are
within the doldrums.  Timor is on the line where the typhoons form.  RE: The
Designers Guide to Wind Loading of Building Structures, by N J Cook.  The
Philippines are north of the equator and are probably not relevant.  The NW
Cape of Australia with a wind velocity of 130 mph is relevant and the wind
velocities increase dramatically to 130 mph.

In the area within the doldrums the TI 809-01 (AKA UFC 3-310-01) infers a
default minimum of 80 mph (3 second gust) in the area of the doldrums.

Jon Paterka at CPP http://www.cppwind.com/index.html has done probabilistic
studies in many areas of the world.  You may want to contact him to see if
he can fine tune it.

Regards,
Harold Sprague