From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 5:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: [native materials and methods] was: Re: wind damage evaluation

Dave,

EERI's [ www.eeri.org ] Lessons Learned Over Time -- Volume II Learning
>From Earthquakes Series has some interesting publications, Edited by
Marjorie Green has some interesting publications: 1. "Innovative
Earthquake Recover in India" describes a government-sponsored project
for reconstruction, repair, strengthening, and village relocation in the
Maharashtra Region following the 1993 Earthquake.  Region-appropriate
technologies for earthquake resistance were developed and applied.
Training in the earthquake resistant technologies was provided to
engineering college graduates.  The trained junior engineers,
contractors and consultants worked with owners who were rebuilding
and/or strengthening.. To develop willingness to apply new ways of doing
things, convincing evidence that the techniques would protect the
buildings from future seismic damage was demonstrated to the potential
users.  Program strategy, and technical descriptions are included in the
book.

2.  Volume V "Housing Reconstruction After the 2001 El Salvador
Earthquakes" provides information about a similar program in Central
America, focused on adobe construction.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA