RE: Concrete Slump

Concrete slump is actually a very imprecise indicator of concrete quality. ASTM actually has a disclaimer in their slump test description that says that concrete strength may not correlate to slump in the field.

Someone else sent you a message about specifying 3-5" slump. This may or may not be appropriate for the SF area with your high resteel congestion. I suggest the following:

"Concrete slump shall not exceed 5" maximum, except when an ASTM C-494 Type F or G water reducer in which case the initial slump prior to addition of Type F or G water reducer shall not exceed 5" and after the addition of Type F or G water reducer shall not exceed 7", as measured at the point of placement."

Of course, the above statement is offered without any knowledge of the project, and you should modify it for extenuating circumstances on the project. (Canned disclaimer #105).

Jay Shilstone