Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 7:42 PM
Subject: RESIDENTIAL: Securing a Non-Bearing Partition Wall

I have a couple of upper-story partition wall that go inside an attic space, one on each side of a space and each parallel to the exterior walls, and supported by the floor joists below (the space is over the garage).

Since the roof, pitched and 12:12, has rafters that bear on the exterior walls, there is no reason to bear them on these interior walls (and plenty of reason not to since the walls are sitting on the floor joists).

So, I want to put these walls in with nothing resting on them (the ceiling joists will double as collar ties, so they?ll be supported ?just above? the top plate of the interior walls fastening to the rafters) but I obviously need to tie the top of the walls for lateral support. Also, I need to know about how much clearance I need between the top plate of the non-bearing wall and the framing above so that movement of the framing won?t impinge on the wall.

Can anyone suggest (or preferably ?point to?) a detail that I can use to secure the tops of these walls, e.g. ?kickers? or some such to the framing that will disallow lateral movement but not get in the way of the roof framing ?flexing? under wind load, etc.?

Thanks in advance.