ACI 530-02/ASCE 5-02/TMS 402-02 Experts

First of all I have to say keeping up with “code changes” is adding grey hair on a daily basis now.

An exception in section 6.2.2.3.1.5 allows support of masonry veneer on wood framing provided that the masonry has an installed weight of 40 psf or less and height of no more than 12 ft.

 My understanding of the 12 feet is a veneer weighing less that 40 psf up to that height (i.e. 40 psf x 12 ft.) is the maximum load allowed for wood support. It has been suggested that this means masonry weighing 40 psf cannot be installed higher than 12 above the ground. If this (second suggestion) is correct, I’d like to know.

Secondly, if this provision is intended to limit the weight of masonry being supported (and that’s a big if), then would a single stone (such as a lintel, jamb or sill stone) which has a density exceeding 40 psf but weighs significantly less than 40 psf x 12 feet, be “acceptable” as a rational interpretation (and hence be supportable on wood framing).

Thanks for any help on understanding this “new” provision. As you might tell from my “inexperience” with ACI 530-02, I’ve yet to get this resource and associated commentary.

Barry H. Welliver