Re: ACI 530-02/ASCE 5-02/TMS 402-02 Experts

> First of all I have to say keeping up with "code
> changes" is adding grey
> hair on a daily basis now.

Barry,

I agree. Things are getting out of control.
Personally, I'd like to see a moratorium on Code
changes for one code cycle.

Could someone please explain to me what REAL and
TANGIBLE improvements were made to the seismic
provisions of the IBC code between the IBC 2000 and
IBC 2003. It seems that no real improvements were made
- things were just made more complicated. In my
opinion the IBC 2000 seismic provisions were as close
to perfection as you can get. The format and
arrangement of the IBC 2003 seismic provisions just
muddied the waters without any real improvement. As I
understand it, the seismic provisions will be getting
even more complex in the next round.

Actually I don't know why I'm complaining - now that
we have computers to think for us, it doesn't matter
how complex the codes and accompanying equations are.
Heck, now that we can design structures 20 times
faster with a computer than we could twenty years ago,
we should really only be working 2 hours a week!

Have a nice weekend - for those of you who take the
weekends off.

Cliff Schwinger