From: "Barry H. Welliver" <barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: "Seaint Listserv" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: ACI 530-02/ASCE 5-02/TMS 402-02 Experts
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:54:06 -0600

First of all I have to say keeping up with "code changes" is adding grey
hair on a daily basis now.

An exception in section 6.2.2.3.1.5 allows support of masonry veneer on wood
framing provided that the masonry has an installed weight of 40 psf or less
and height of no more than 12 ft.

My understanding of the 12 feet is a veneer weighing less that 40 psf up to
that height (i.e. 40 psf x 12 ft.) is the maximum load allowed for wood
support. It has been suggested that this means masonry weighing 40 psf
cannot be installed higher than 12 above the ground. If this (second
suggestion) is correct, I'd like to know.

Secondly, if this provision is intended to limit the weight of masonry being
supported (and that's a big if), then would a single stone (such as a
lintel, jamb or sill stone) which has a density exceeding 40 psf but weighs
significantly less than 40 psf x 12 feet, be "acceptable" as a rational
interpretation (and hence be supportable on wood framing).

Thanks for any help on understanding this "new" provision. As you might tell
from my "inexperience" with ACI 530-02, I've yet to get this resource and
associated commentary.

Barry H. Welliver