  From: "Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson" <ghi(--nospam--at)pc.dk>
  To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
  Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 5:43 AM
  Subject: RE: Basic Wind Speed in Indonesia

  > Thanks alot for the info Harold. It's appreciated.
  >
  > "Doldrums", I read, "that's got a violent ring to it, lets check my
English-Icelandic dictionary....oooohhhh I see".

  > All fun aside, this is a very preliminary investigation for one of our
clients, who supplies diesel power plants, and accompanying structures, all
over the world. From your mail and info, I've gathered from USGS, USACE, and
more, it seems that seismicity may be more of a problem, than wind loads in
this area (the four possible project sites all lie along, or very close to,
equator, between eastern longitudes 111-142).

  > Regards,
  > Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson
  > Denmark

The
  > Designers Guide to Wind Loading of Building Structures, by N J Cook.
The
  > Philippines are north of the equator and are probably not relevant.  The
NW
  > Cape of Australia with a wind velocity of 130 mph is relevant and the
wind
  > velocities increase dramatically to 130 mph.
  >
  > In the area within the doldrums the TI 809-01 (AKA UFC 3-310-01) infers
  > default minimum of 80 mph (3 second gust) in the area of the doldrums.
  >
  > Jon Paterka at CPP http://www.cppwind.com/index.html has done
probabilistic
  > studies in many areas of the world.  You may want to contact him to see
if
  > he can fine tune it.
  >
  > Regards,
  > Harold Sprague
  >

  > >From: "Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson" <ghi(--nospam--at)pc.dk>
  > >To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
  > >Subject: Basic Wind Speed in Indonesia
  > >Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:54:11 +0200
  > >
  > >Hi,
  > >
  > >Does anyone on the list know the basic wind speed in Indonesia, i.e.
  > >Borneo, Sulawesi, Maluku or Papua, preferably as UBC 3 sec. gust,
Eurocode
  > >10-min mean or UK-CP3 hourly mean.
  > >
  > >The closest I've come are Philippine Islands (90 mph) and Caroline
Islands