RE: More "Responsible Charge" Stuff

Bill,

As a sole practitioner starting my own engineering gig, I feel your frustration!  To think, isn't it bad enough to worry about bringing in the right work in sufficient volume to keep food on the plate; now we have to worry about which state we can and can't work in because of legal technicalities?

Regarding Joe Grill's email:

What about the entire industry of specialty contractors who manufacturer products that are shipped around the country (and perhaps into Arizona.)  A lot of these guys have a draftsmen or two on staff who have been detailing their work for years and know it inside and out. They take the printed drawings to a local (or locally licensed) engineer who is familiar with their product and will engineer and stamp their drawings.  Will all of these contractors be forced to hire their own engineer or be forced to close up shop because it is now illegal to hire an outside engineer?  If an engineer can't hire a contract engineer, then a contractor shouldn't be able to either.

In this area, contractors are still grumbling because the IBC was just enacted a couple of months ago and now they have to hire an outside engineer to review their work.  If PA had a similar law to Arizona (I don't know off hand if it does or not,) then it sounds like it would be illegal to hire an outside engineer because the licensing board wouldn't permit it?  That just doesn't make sense, does it?

Maybe NCEES could keep a database of which states have which laws to save us the trouble of pursuing licenses we perhaps can't use...

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek...
Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?