RE: More "Responsible Charge" Stuff

Jim:

To further complicate the issue for you, in many states a "manufacturer"
cannot really employ an engineer that performs "professional services"
(i.e. seal drawings) as a direct employee due to the way licensing laws
are written.  In particular, many states require firms offering
"professional services" to meet certain ownership requirements (i.e. must
be owned by a certain percentage of licensed engineers).  To my
understanding, the intent is to ensure that licensed engineerings taking
responsibility for the design (i.e. sealing drawings) cannot be unduely
influenced by non-engineers (licensed) that might own or run tha company
to make decisions based upon financial reasons rather than "public health
and welfare" or face the possbilility of losing their job with the
company.  I know this because I have encountered this as an employee of a
structural insulsated panel manufacturer and timber framer.  When they
hired me, part of the position was to do engineering for shop drawings and
seal them when required.  But, I cannot do this as a direct employee in
many states because the company cannot meet the licensing law requirements
on ownership of the company by licensed professionals (PEs or architects,
etc).

HTH (with a grin),

Scott
Adrian, MI