RE: ACI 530-02/ASCE 5-02/TMS 402-02 Experts

>... AISC does not really work on the three-year cycle
>that the model building codes do (at least it does not
>appear that way...maybe Charlie will comment).

This is correct, though we do always coordinate our standards
development processes with their schedules. Both ICC and NFPA work on a
3-year cycle, but we have generally tried to meet their needs by
alternating full revisions and supplement-based revisions. There is also
another factor -- ANSI suggests (but does not absolutely require, as I
recently learned) a 5-year cycle for ANSI-accredited standards.

With a few notable exceptions, there is seldom reason I can see that the
profession would need anything less than a 10-year cycle. We've begun
discussions with other standards development organizations and the model
codes about extending revision intervals. I'm not sure it will happen
since a lot of organizations use standards as a means to generate income
and extended cycles would mean less such income. Failing that, we'll
(AISC will) probably follow a basic six-year cycle, with an intermediate
3-year supplement. That approach satisfies all current frequencies.

Charlie