RE: More "Responsible Charge" Stuff

Christopher,

I am aware of such provisions, but one must be careful still.  Michigan
has a similar provisions, but you get into shades of grey when trying to
determine if it applies to doing professional services (i.e. sealing
drawings) for shop drawings for things like structural steel, SIPs (my
situation), etc.  I believe that many, if not most, states have such
exceptions, but those exceptions are aimed more at the Ford Motor
Companies of the world.  After all, if those exceptions did not apply then
every engineer at Ford, Chryler, GM, GE, Boeing, Sony, etc who design
products for consumer use would be in violation of licensing laws as most
engineers outside of the construction world are not licensed.

I know that the exception in the Michigan PE law puts me in the grey area
because I called the PE Board about it.  The PE board staffer could not
give me a definitive answer (for that I will have to written the State of
Michigan's Attorney General's office), but advised me that it would be
prudent to air on the side of caution (i.e. that sealing of show drawings
_WOULD_ be subject to Michigan's ownership requirements for firm offering
professional services; which, BTW, is that 2/3s of the "principals" of the
company must be licensed and principals is defined essentially as actual
owners [i.e. own the company or part of the company] or corporate
officers).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI