RE: Code references

William:

My thinking tends to be inline with yours.  I have never liked the UBC's
way of dealing with concrete provisions.  This is largely due to the fact
that I have "raised" on actually using ACI 318 (being as I live in former
BOCA and now IBC country...and my concrete professor was actively involved
in ACI 318...he is now the current chair).  Thus, it takes me awhile
sometimes to find crap in the UBC code, but takes me very little time to
find it in 318 (I have since learned that the 1997 UBC mimics ACI 318
numbering so I can find it in ACI 318 then use the section numbers to find
it in the 1997 UBC).

I also like the idea of the direct reference with FEW exceptions listed in
the model building code.  Note that I emphasize the idea of FEW.  I am
smart enough to realize that there will always likely need to be some
exceptions/modifications/"tweaks", but I believe that such modifications
or "tweaks" should be minimized as much as possible.  And I believe the
that model building codes (ICC for example) should "crack down" on those
that attempt "end runs" of the various reference standards _IF_ those that
are attempting the "end run" have proposed it in the appropriate reference
standard process but could not supply enough technical justification to
get it through OR if they did not even bother to try the appropriate
national standard process.  But, then that is just my opinion.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI