Re: More "Responsible Charge" Stuff

On Aug 28, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Scott Maxwell wrote:

I believe that many, if not most, states have such
exceptions, but those exceptions are aimed more at the Ford Motor
Companies of the world.
They're not as much aimed at manufacturers as purchased by them. Those provisions saved manufacturers a lot of money, and they still are. Engineering laws are loaded with exemptions put in by industries who didn't want to pay engineers for doing (as they apparently still think) the work of 'draughtsmen.' Most mechanical design at the time wasn't all that sophisticated anyway. Minnesota excepts most farm-related mechanical engineering from the law and as another example Arizona still exempts mining from most of its engineering registration provisions. Of course that could be that agriculture and mining are such inherently safe occupations, but that isn't how I'd bet.

My own practice flat out offers engineering services, so I need a license. I know of people who make a great thing of referring themselves with euphemisms, but the guts of the law is that engineering is defined in the law by the character and type of services provided, not by the name used.

Christopher Wright P.E.   |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com      | this distance" (last words of Gen.
.............................................| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw