Re: Anchor Bolts in Flexure

> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

> due to the reentrant profile of the threads.  While this may not be as
> critical in steels where fu>>fy, as bolt strengths increase (through heat
> treatment) the yield and ultimate stresses grow closer together and the
> built in margin of safety provided by designing to the yield stress
> diminishes.
>
> I've wondered this myself, by the way. It usually makes me pause every time
> I get gasoline and look at the bases of these one or two column canopies
> (inverted pendula) which stand about 2" off the concrete pad and appear to
> have never been grouted.

The bolt sizes and quantities were not likley controlled by tension +
shear bending resistance limits. The leveling nuts reduce the moment
length. They probably are not high strength materials. This is probably
the part that will still be in place when the rest isn't.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International