From: ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 7:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Anchor Bolts in Flexure

> > From: Andy Heigley [mailto:aheigley(--nospam--at)jgaeng.com]

> > I'm curious to know what others do for instances when you can't count on
> > friction to resist shear.  For instance, in a PEMB where you have
> > combined uplift and shear, and with the baseplates normally set up at
> > EL.= 100'-0". If you don't size anchor rods for shear, how do you detail
> > the anchorage to have the shear transferred to the hairpin?

> From: "Scott, William N." <William.Scott(--nospam--at)veco.com>

> Shear lugs work well.

Except that the PEMB manufacturer probably isn't providing shear lugs.
This will be a field work addition. Ka-ching$$$$

Is anybody aware of a failure of the anchor rods (combined shear and
flexure or shear only) involving a PEMB (fully erected building)?
With/Without grout?
Uplift vs gravity load shears?
Welded vs loose washer?
2, 4, 6, 8 anchors per base?
Anchors located +/- 1/8" as required by typical manufacturer's spec?
AISC recommended oversize base holes or typical PEMB 1/4" oversize?

I haven't encountered such a failure, yet.

Paul

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International