RE: Sealing & Signing on Mylar - Problems with ink

Do you plan to retain the original mylars? If not, your permanent signature
may be affixed to drawings that could be changed without your knowledge.

Barry H. Welliver

From: L. Pack [mailto:Lloyd(--nospam--at)pecid.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 1:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Sealing & Signing on Mylar - Problems with ink

On 30 Aug 2004, at 13:43, Jason W. Kilgore wrote:

> Are you testing the right side?  The Mylar in our office has a "rough"
side
> and a "smooth" side.  You print on the "rough" side.  If it's in a roll,
the
> "rough" side is the convex side (exterior).

I'm using a double matte mylar, so both sides are "rough."

> You post worried me a little because I'm supposed to submit a Mylar
project
> next week, and I thought I was going to have to search out a special pen
and
> ink pad.

> So, I cut a strip and did a test myself.  Testing on the "rough" side, my
> stamp, "signing" pen (Cross Select-Tip Medium Felt-tip Blue), a ball
point,
> a gel, and two rolling-ball pens all dried within seconds.  No smearing
even
> with fairly hard rubbing with a dry paper towel.  All but the rolling
balls
> did well rubbing under water; both rolling balls lost a lot of ink, but
they
> were still legible.

This could be the problem.  I'm using a Uni-ball micro to sign with.  I
tested
a Staedtler pigment liner that claims to be waterproof and it works great.
The
only problem is that the supplyers that we've got around here, only show
black
ink for these pens in their catalogs.

> The test on the "smooth" side is still smearing after 30 minutes, although
> the gel ink appears to be finally drying.
>
> Good luck,
>
> ---
> Jason Kilgore
> Leigh & O'Kane, LLC