disasters, ABs, and brick, oh my..

Title: Message
Harold,
Thanks for the heads up on the disaster special. But of course, you could always fly down to Orlando, hit up Islands of Adventure (if you like coasters), drive around and look at what a hurricane did, then hang out and watch what a hurricane does as it happens, with a beer or your favorite beverage (a Hurricane perhaps) in hand :)  You could swing by my house and help me figure out the easiest way of making my old garage door in my old house able to withstand more then the current 6.7psf allowable lateral load that I have calculated. Seriously, does anyone know if I can buy a cheap device to measure wind speed? Seeing if I can open up my back door without getting sucked out did not seem very scientific for Charlie. Maybe strap myself down to my truck with a hard hat and a rain coat....

Then again being FSU alumn the hurricane I am most worried about hits Monday night in Miami (wide right, left, DOH!).

Anchor bolts
This reminds me of some embellished joking I have taken part in, with hurricane Andrew in mind....  How many metal buildings were rolling down the street like tumble weeds, undersized footings intact? How many failed in a nice neat bolt shear, or a clean 45 degree cone shear from bolt pullout? Something tells me that 28 gauge panel with one screw at 2 feet O.C. may fail first.....   And they do and did. If there is anywhere you have breathing room in a building's structure, I like to think it is at the AB and foundation level.  I am not suggesting to not be prudent, nor underdesign something, but just food for thought. My opinion form what I have observed is you want lots of trees surrounding your structure for shielding and getting your Exposure into B range, but not where they can fall on your building.

Brick Support
Could other reasons not to use wood to support masonry be:
 connections of the angle or support member can be a pain; fire, pests, moisture issues; wood can warp, crack, deflect/creep/shrink. And brick or other CMU cladding are generally brittle and do not like deflection of their supporting members. In my short career I have seen quite a few problems where wood was used to support brick, so I personally don't like it anywhere. But then again I don't do much residential where you may be forced to do it.

Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL