From: Jen Wadsworth [mailto:JWadsworth(--nospam--at)TricoEngineering.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 11:10 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: concrete pipe barrel strength

I've been asked to analyze two stormwater pipes under an existing building.
The one in question runs 5' below an exterior column of the building.  I've
calculated the force exerted on the pipe at this depth but I need to
determine if the concrete pipe is strong enough to handle the load from
above.  Does anyone know of a reference for calculating this information?
I've searched the internet and I also have a concrete pipe handbook from the
American Concrete Pipe Association that I've been searching through, but
haven't come across anything helpful yet. I thought there would be a table
with this information but haven't found one yet. I don't know the
manufacturer of the pipe but I might call some randoms to see if they have
this info- just thought I'd check here first.
Any pertinent info much appreciated
tia

Jen Wadsworth, EIT
Structural Design Engineer