From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Screw Factor of Safety?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

Most catalog fasteners (i.e. self-drilling screws, epansion anchors, etc.) have a factor of safety of 4(or higher) for design. Is there a different factor of safety when considered during field testing?

Presumably, the safety factor is so high so that it accounts for the differences between perfect world testing and actual field conditions. What if the testing is done on the actual field conditions? Shouldn't the safety factor be lower since the tested value has already taken site conditions into consideration?

Surprise, surprise, another contractor mishap I am expected to bless...

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA