Re: concrete pipe barrel strength

Jen,

        There are formulae in Roark: "Formulas for Stress and Strain" for ring
structures which can be combined using superposition to solve the mathematical
problem you are examining.  However, due to variation in compaction around the
pipe (and possibly other input data) it is (in my opinion) unlikely that these
will give you an accurate solution to the problem.

        If this is a significant building I would personally prefer place a new,
deeper, footing on each side of the pipe and have the foundation wall (or a new
grade beam associated with the foundation wall) span the pipe without
transferring load to the pipe.

        You can also use piles on either side of the pipe and connected to the
foundation wall.  This may seem a bit exotic; but I've seen it used to
facilitate the removal of environmentally contaminated soil from beneath a
building.

        Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson