RE: Screw Factor of Safety?

Harold,

Sounds like Chapter 20 - Strength Evaluation of Existing Structures.  I'll put that one on my list of good-to-know-about's.  Generally, I see that ACI allows increases to the strength reduction factor of approximately 10% to 20%.  I suppose I could correlate that to a similar increase to what is originally a "reduction factor" of .25.  But that wouldn't even get it up to .30...

At least when I was taught LRFD, they also presented it with statistical backup to explain the logic behind the factors.  The basis (statistical?) behind the FS=4 (or 6 or 8) simply has me perplexed.

Thanks,
Jim

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Jim,
I generally go to the ACI 318 for their in situ testing. It spells it out
pretty well, and accounts for safety factor, duration, etc. I am on the
road in San Fran so I can't tell you which chapter.

Regards,
Harold Sprague