Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Dunnage

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

That has also been my understanding of the term “dunnage” before I moved to NJ two years ago.  I’m having trouble getting that “deer-in-the-head-lights” look off of my face when an architect, engineer, contractor, etc. asks me if we need to provide “dunnage” for a 45,000 pound piece of equipment sitting 4’-0” above the roof.  I’ve tried using the term roof top support frame (RTSF) in reply to such requests and I get the same blank stare back from my clients.



-----Original Message-----
From: Waltz, Ned [mailto:waltzn(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:09 PM
To: Stuart, Matthew
Subject: RE: Dunnage


In the timber industry, dunnage is typically the wood used to separate bundles as you stack them on a truck, floor, etc.  It is often reject material.


-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart, Matthew [mailto:mstuart(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Dunnage


In my experience, in the south the term dunnage was most often used to describe loose timber posts that precast products, steel members and other similar materials were temporary stored on top of.  In the northeast dunnage is used to describe even the most elaborate steel frames constructed on the top of a roof to support mechanical equipment.  What has everybody else's experience been with the term dunnage?  I see that the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction (McGraw Hill) defines dunnage as it is commonly used in the northeast.