Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Dunnage

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

So if people up in New England think dunnage is wood also, where did NJ get the wrong idea?


-----Original Message-----
From: HEATH MITCHELL [mailto:hmitchell(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:31 PM
To: Stuart, Matthew
Subject: RE: Dunnage


I grew up in New Hampshire and was an ironworker for a while (New England states) and I’ve only heard “dunnage” used as you describe for the south – timbers used to keep something off of the ground (or to separate items in a pile).


Heath Mitchell, P.E.

Project Engineer

Putnam Collins Scott Associates

Phone 253-383-2797 Fax 253-383-1557



-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart, Matthew [mailto:mstuart(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 10:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Dunnage


In my experience, in the south the term dunnage was most often used to describe loose timber posts that precast products, steel members and other similar materials were temporary stored on top of.  In the northeast dunnage is used to describe even the most elaborate steel frames constructed on the top of a roof to support mechanical equipment.  What has everybody else's experience been with the term dunnage?  I see that the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction (McGraw Hill) defines dunnage as it is commonly used in the northeast.