RE: Hurricane Wind Speeds

You have to take into account the return period. They took a period of 500
years, but finagled the contours by taking into consideration "effective
load" and importance factors, etc. The goal was to make it less cumbersome,
not have to juggle a bunch of different factors.

Recall also that the wind-speeds given for actual hurricanes are "maximum
sustained winds" and occur near the eye. The wind-speeds tend to fall off
dramatically as you move away from the eye. So statistically speaking,
unless you get beaned dead-on by a Cat 5 storm, the 120 MPH value will
probably get you through almost anything else.