Re: hurricane diaries 2

One trick we used to use to determine how far the
freezer thawed when the electricity failed:

1) Before the power goes, fill the freezer with as
many gallon containers of water that will fit (thermal
mass).  Turn the freezer all the way to coldest.
2) Place a single ice cube in a baggy on each shelf.
3) Don't open the freezer once the power fails and
everything inside should be okay for at least three
days.
4) Once you open the freezer, you can see how low the
frost line went by observing the ice cubes.  The ice
cubes will melt from the top - down and show which
shelves thawed.

Have extra propane available cause everyone starts
eating the freezer food after the fourth day (either
eat it or throw it out approach).

Good luck!!

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ