RE: 1976 Uniform Building Code - liability, insurance, etc.

This is an interesting case since structural engineers who assess the structural condition of a building, as far as I know, rarely look at roof drainage.

Also, there was no minimum slope required for roofs in the 1976 UBC.

It is still one of the most overcooked items from my plan review perspective. Most architects and hardly any engineers really seem to care about this major issue.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com 09/02/04 10:45AM >>>
Dave & Bill:

The building was designed and constructed in 1977.  Three structural
engineers visited the facility in 1999/2000 as it was being sold to the
tenant.  One of these engineers provided a due diligence assessment.
The other two provided more limited services addressing specific
concerns related to differential soil heaving and related distress in
floor slabs and tiltwall panels.  All three engineers wrote letter
reports indicating that there were significant ongoing structural issues
that needed to be addressed through more comprehensive investigations.
These recommendations were largely ignored and the building was
purchased by the tenant.  Six months later, about 20,000 s.f. of roof
framing and adjacent tiltwall panels collapsed during a big rain storm.
The building insurance company wrote a big check for repairs and
damages, and is now subrogating against all three engineers.  The
original design engineer and contractor are not involved in this
litigation.

Ain't life just grand!

Stan

"Zell Miller for President"