From: Wesley Werner [mailto:wwerner(--nospam--at)conewago.com]
Sent:
Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry arching action

What are some guidelines for considering masonry arching over an opening? I am looking at some loadbearing walls with standard doors, small windows, and a double door in it.  How far can masonry arch? Does the spacing of the bar joist affect the width of arching action? Do you need a lintel to span over closely spaced standard doors? There is 4' of 8" CMU overtop of the doors and windows. I am wondering how far the masonry can arch before it I have to start designing my lintels for the weight of the floor or roof.

Wesley C. Werner