Alternate design of slender concrete walls

Last week I ask a question as to design of ICF concrete walls.  In particular at heavily loaded jamb sections.  Although I was hoping I wouldn’t have to, I did have to look at sections where the foam webs have been removed to allow a full thickness to the section for a particular length of the jamb.  In my case I will have an 8” x 24” concrete section.  I have a case where the wall is a story and a half high due to a crawlspace.  The upper portion of the wall will have a kl/r > 100 so I can’t use the magnified moment method.  I have several questions due to this situation.

  1. The home is in a ’97 UBC jurisdiction; therefore section 1914.8 could be used for the design.  I have a fine example by Ben Yousefi, SE in his Structural Engineering Review Manual.  Is there any software (hopefully free) readily available for download, that will do these calculations.  They appear to be quite time consuming.  I can do it by hand if need be, but I have several sections to do and it will take a long time to go through all the load cases.
  2. ACI 318-99 has an “Alternate design of slender walls” however there is a limitation to simply supported walls.  Does that mean (I’m afraid it does) simply supported laterally?  In another words, can a wall that is multiple spans be checked with this method, and I guess why not if the wall is more than a single story height or in my case a tall wall with a crawlspace below, but tied into a floor system.  In my case I have a 22’ height above the floor and a 9’ height below the floor.  If this method can be used for my situation is it acceptable to use it since it is similar to the ’97 UBC method but in a newer code?  And again is there any software available for this method.

Thanks,

Joe Grill