From past memories if the ledger angles are welded to embedded plates in the walls they check out easier than if they are anchored in with expansion bolts (or similar).

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E. KC MO USA

 -----Original Message-----
From: Reg Spalding [mailto:regspalding(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 11:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Ledger Angle

I have a steel ledger angle - vertical leg bolted to a concrete wall, horizontal leg used to support regularly spaced floor joists.  I am looking at bending of the horizontal leg under vertical loading.  What should the effective length of the horizontal leg be? It should be some value less than, or equal to, the spacing of the joists.  A mentor once taught me to use 8 times the thickness of the leg + the width of the joist + 8 times the thickness of the leg, i.e., S = (8t+1.5+8t) x t^2 / 6 (for 2x joists).  I have know idea where this method comes from (and I am pretty sure he did not either).

Thank you in advance,

Reg Spalding

Do you Yahoo!?