From: Effland, Greg [mailto:geeffland(--nospam--at)butlermfg.com]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 11:50 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Steel Ledger Angle

Reg,

Assuming you are asking about the effective bending "width" of the horizontal leg... I would draw a 45 degree line from the edge of the joist seat at the free end of the horizontal leg back towards the wall.

Variables:
===========
K = clear distance that the jost is held from the wall
L = Bearing Length of joist end seat on the horizontal leg
W = Endseat width of joist
b = effective bending width of horizontal leg

b = W + 2 * (L - K)

When I have cheked them in the past I checked the following:
1) Local Bending of Top (horizontal) leg due to vertical loads
2) Axial Capacity from chord forces (if they exist)
3) Lateral Loads on the ledger from wall suction or joist pulling away from wall (strut loads, etc.)

From past memories if the ledger angles are welded to embedded plates in the walls they check out easier than if they are anchored in with expansion bolts (or similar).

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E. KC MO USA