Re: Alternate design of slender concrete walls

Joe:

FWIW, Section 14.8 of ACI 318-99 is basically what is contained in UBC
1914.8, but has been "converted" to factored load design from the working
stress.  So, it appears that both are based upon the same principles.

And yes, I believe that you are limited to a simply support wall (i.e.
supported at top of wall and bottom of wall) with a uniform lateral load.
I believe that this method is based upon those basic assumptions and would
require modifications to the deflection terms if nothing else if you were
to goto a continuous span.

And, FWIW, it did go through originally...I was waiting to see if someone
could give you a more definitive answer before I responded.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI