gusset plates

Dear listmembers,

   When designing truss connections of steel angle chord and and web members the contact area between the chord and web is usually sufficient for the required weld length and for economy I do not use gusset plates. I however observe that other designers still use gusset plates in the connection. Is there any other reason for this besides providing for the the needed weld length.  I would appreciate your comments. I maybe missing something.  Thanks in Advance.

Alex C. Nacionales
Civil Engineer
Iloilo City, Philippines

Do you Yahoo!?