notching a steel beam

Title: Message
Listers,
If you take away most of one side of a top flange of a steel beam, say an 8" flange and on one side you notch out 3", what are some acceptable methods of reinforcement? There will be a pipe going through the notch, and I cannot do anything from the top. Is welding a plate of sufficient area to the underneath of the opposite flange ok? I see how this will replace the section modulus and compressive block that I am losing, but I am concerned with how the internal stresses of the beam "jump" from one side to the other.

Also, I have dusted off my Mechanics of Materials book (man, there is some good stuff in there!), and they mention the notching of rectangular beams and stress concentrations. Is there a problem with some type of local buckling in the flange, or does will the compressive stress "flow" into the built up flange on the opposite side? I guess I have to size the length of the plate for the weld for shear flow as well.

Oh, and my thoughts are with you in the Gulf Coast. Batten down the hatches, and "hunker down"! (This term was used so much by local news and radio agencies that people were using it in drinking games.)

As bad as that thing looks, here near Orlando we haven't gotten more then a 5 minute burst of rain all day.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg

Thanks in advance for the steel help!

Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL