Re: "Apparent Rigidity"

Yes, me too if I'm honest. The town I work in is using 2000 IBC, the county uses 2003 IBC, and the neighboring county and town that I do a fair amount of work in is using the '97 UBC. So much for standardization. So, I need to have all the references around.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 5:29 PM
Subject: RE: "Apparent Rigidity"

Bill:

If your WFCM shows the units for "apparent rigidity" as in^2/lb, then
maybe you have one with a typo.  My copy (that I just ordered and received
a couple of weeks ago) shows the units as in^2-lbs, which is completely in
line with Rand's response.

If it helps, there is an example for using Table 2.13A and Table 2.13B in
the commentary (assuming that you got the commentary with the WFCM).  And
both examples are consistant with Rand's explanation of apparent rigidity.

(And to Joe:  I just ordered the 2001 NDS with LRFD and WFCM not because
my 97 NDS is "falling apart" but rather because it is now the "law of the
land" in my neck of the woods (Michigan just adopted the 2003 IBC as the
state building code this past Spring, which then references the 2001 NDS))
<grin>

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI