From: Andrew Kester [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: notching a steel beam

Listers,
If you take away most of one side of a top flange of a steel beam, say an 8"
flange and on one side you notch out 3", what are some acceptable methods of
reinforcement? There will be a pipe going through the notch, and I cannot do
anything from the top. Is welding a plate of sufficient area to the
underneath of the opposite flange ok? I see how this will replace the
section modulus and compressive block that I am losing, but I am concerned
with how the internal stresses of the beam "jump" from one side to the
other.

Also, I have dusted off my Mechanics of Materials book (man, there is some
good stuff in there!), and they mention the notching of rectangular beams
and stress concentrations. Is there a problem with some type of local
buckling in the flange, or does will the compressive stress "flow" into the
built up flange on the opposite side? I guess I have to size the length of
the plate for the weld for shear flow as well.

Oh, and my thoughts are with you in the Gulf Coast. Batten down the hatches,
and "hunker down"! (This term was used so much by local news and radio
agencies that people were using it in drinking games.)

As bad as that thing looks, here near Orlando we haven't gotten more then a
5 minute burst of rain all day.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg
<http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg>

Thanks in advance for the steel help!