From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Building corner wind effect - when is a corner a corner?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:30:12 -0700 (PDT)

ASCE 7 seems remiss in not visually depicting the roof edge as a corner zone. The figures are quite clear that only the vertical corners receive corner effects. I agree with my limited knowledge of wind testing that the roof edge IS a corner, but it could more easily be argued the other way, given what is in the figures.

And thanks for the update on ASCE 7-05. I'll start surcharging my clients now.

Thanks,
Jim Wilson

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:The edge of the roof is a corner. BOCA never developed a commentary. The
ASCE develops commentary. The other point that should be made is that if
you design per the 1993 BOCA, you will have pressures that are too low. The
ASCE 7 underwent very marked changes in the mid and late 1990's due to
Hurricane Andrew. We were wrong, and the ASCE needed help. We switched
over to 3 second gust and changed the way local pressures were calculated
especially on fasteners.

I would suggest that you require a Factory Mutual I-90 roof. That should
keep you out of the code problems and get you the performance that you need.

By the way, I am in San Francisco Friday and Saturday working on the next
evolution of the seismic section of the ASCE 7-05. I think that you will
like the improvements.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp