Re: Basic Wind Speed in Indonesia

Dear Gunnar,

Based on recorded data of "Badan Meteorologi dan Geofisika" from 1980 to 1990, the maximum wind speed in Jakarta of that period was 42 knots.(21 meters/second))
The average wind speed was 7 knots

Based on Indonesia code:
When designing and testing the curtain wall of high rise building, the wind speed (of 3 second gust) is ranging from 25 meters/second to 40 meters/second depending on the surrounding environment condition.

When designing cladding wall of warehouse building (for instance), the design wind pressure is specified in our Loading Code as follows: * Less than 5 km from seashore , use 40 kg/m2(minimum).This is approximately equal to 25 meters / second of wind speed. * More than 5 km from seashore, use 25 kg/m2(minimum). (equal to 20 meters / second)

For Sulawesi and Maluku island (especially at northern seashore), it is recommended to use the wind speed as specified in Philippine code (i.e. 90 mph = 40 meters/second).

Hopefully this may be useful.

Hero Djoni