Re: Lateral Load--Is it THE Design?

Bill,

If you are talking about wood framed residential
construction then I agree that investigation of wind
and seismic loads could easiliy consume half of your
design effort. Unfortunately a lot of this effort is
expended by structural engineers because they know
that whatever they design and detail, they will hear
complaints that "..I've never had to do this
before....my previous structural engineer never
required these hold down anchors,...I've been building
houses for 25 year and never saw anything like this
before...."

My previous response to your post was for steel or
concrete framed construction.

Cliff Schwinger