RE: decks, glass blocks

Andrew,

FYI, the Enercalc pole embedment module uses the equation from UBC 94 (presumably the same formula as in UBC 97). This formula has migrated into the 2000 IBC as well.

--
Adam Vakiener, PE
Structural Engineer

Decks
I have done my fair share of designing wood decks, walkways, and =
bridges, and even built a couple myself. What type of moment are you =
trying to resolve? I assume the lateral wind/ lateral live load in the =
plane of the deck? If the deck is coming off of a retaining wall or the =
house/building, you can use diag. bracing or diaphragm action. =
Otherwise, design your posts with enough embedment in the soil to resist =
the overturning moment. I have seen a formula in UBC 97 (didn't like it, =
seemed too conservative) and I used to use one in AASHTO that was pretty =
good. Also Enercalc has a program module for pole embedment in soil. If =
you have a Geotech have him tell you how deep to embed your posts. May I =
also suggest insisting on deck screws rather then nails, as you will =
have a much more serviceable deck, especially in a few years. It is not =
much more work at all.
=20
Glass blocks- I just built a shower out of them at the house, Pittsburgh =
Corning's website is really good. A good but expensive product. Maybe =
someone here can answer this manufacturing question- A regular block =
costs about $4 I think, but an end piece with rounded edges is like $15! =
Why the big differential?
=20
=20

HTH,