Re: 3D Design & Analysis Software

> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com>

> I'm investigating 3D Design-Analysis software which can do steel and
> concrete.  If I get a certain job, I will a program capable of
> concrete design (5 storey building) but most of my other work is
> steel.  I'd especially like to hear from American and Canadian
> members as my customer is American but the job is here in Canada.

I think that the real answer is related to a couple other variables:
How sophisticated will the analysis have to be?
How much time are you prepared to invest in learning new software for
one project?
How complex is the project?

I think that RISA gives a good bang for your buck, is easy to learn/use
and can do what you need.

If you are looking for something a little pricier, look at RAM Steel.
The CISC is still holding a couple of licenses that were sponsored for
discount (about 50%) a few years back by Chaparral/RAM and haven't been
grabbed. Be aware that you may have to pay for an upgrade as well as
some add-ons. Contact CISC.

I still like to do my steel modeling with Multi-frame but it doesn't
have Canadian code checking and concrete is simulated, not designed.
Inexpensive but probably not what you need.

SAFI in Quebec provides general and special purpose design software
which does Canadian and many other standards. Their markets tend to be
in the non-english speaking parts of the world. www.safi.com

If you need some complex analysis done, I have the name of a STAAD
jockey who may be available to help you. No learning curve or
investment/maintenance. He knows the software.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International