Re: I crack.

Icracked- is the moment of inertia of a cracked reinforced concrete section. It is computed by neglecting the concrete area at the tension side of the neutral axis. You may compute compute Icrack by assuming a symmetrical beam or column section( symmetrical RSB arrangement) so that Icracked is the same for both positive and negative bending in a given beam or column.

HTH,

Alex C. Nacionales

Alex <seaosd(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am working on a 20 story with concrete shear walls. for calculation of Ieff we use formula (9-8)(318/318/R-103) of ACI. which needs calculation of Icrack.
Icrack is again a function of steel reinforcement in the section (which is not known before analysis) and I think practically it is almost impossible to calculate it for each section at each story with lots of trial and errors. I have been advised to use [ Icrack=(0.35 - 0.5) x Igross ] that I don't feel comfortable with it.

Any experience or advise on that would be really appreciated.

Alex M,PE

Do you Yahoo!?