From: Garner, Robert /SD [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:25 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Dry Stack Rock Wall

I meant to reply earlier but it looks like problem solved.  FWIW, I used to design rockeries in Seattle about 15 years ago.  At that time, it was required to "chink" the rocks with angular crushed rock, 3" to 8" in least dimension.  The Seattle detail that you linked showed drain rock as small as 3/8" behind the rockery with no filter fabric to prevent the drain rock from "running" through spaces between the rocks.  I worked with a rockery contractor that really took pride in his work and placed each rock "just-so" and his rockeries never had any problems.  This work can't be done cheaply.

Bob G.