Re: eBay: Uniform Building Code, 1994 Volume 2 (UBC 1994)

Then the taxpayers should be willing to foot the bill to produce/develop
the provisions that make up the code/law.  In the end, SOMEONE has to put
up the $$$ to develop/produce the code provisions because contrary to
popular belief they don't just magically appear with no effort nor no
cost.  And, yes, the current "process" makes use of volunteers to do a LOT
of the work, but it is still not a cost free process...it is more a matter of
if volunteers did not do it, then it would cost even more (i.e. we
would have to be paying the people who the list regularly gripes
about making code provisions that "don't work" or are "hairbrained").

This is a good example of the "privatization" of government/bureaucratic
that many people advocate since they think the private sector can do it
more cost efficient.  But don't expect the private sector to do it for
free.

So, if you don't like the current system, at least be aware that if the
current system was not inplace then likely each state (or even local
government) would then likely be forced to come up with their own code
language/provisions to put into law.  This would likely cause your tax
bills to go up as it would cost the state (or local) government to do this
work.  And you would likely end up with different code provisions from
state to state (or city to city), which would mean that you and I would
then have to keep track who requires what where (which we have to do now,
but it would likely TONS worse).

So, careful what you wish for...  <grin>

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI